Pages

Monday 12 November 2012

Driving. No longer one of lifes simple pleasures.

I was thinking, whilst I was driving home from work, how much I used to enjoy driving.

Back in my heyday it wasn't unusual for me to just get into my car and drive, just for fun.

I'd play my favourite tunes, wind down the windows and let the car take me wherever. Its something I
still sometimes do, just not very often.

I might pack Master A up and head down to the Esplanade, take in the wonderful scenery and look at the dreamy beach houses. But unfortunately being out on the road can also be a risk. And this is no more apparent than now.

Its a shame that this once stress reliever, now brings with it the stress of trying to get home safely everyday. There are so many idiots on the road, you can be the most aware driver but one momentary second of distraction can lead to disaster.

Now Im not saying I'm perfect in the driving stakes. In fact, Ive had my share of fines and also, shamefully, loss of licence *gasp* but I'm not going to sit here and make excuses. I screwed up and I admit that, but i have also learnt my lesson and have been 'clean' for more than 3 years now.

Its the people that constantly think its ok to defy the law whilst in the meantime putting innocent peoples lives in danger.

Ive seen a couple of news stories lately that really brought this home.

One was about young men who have been drink driving and subsequently killed people, mostly their own friends, and the impact this now has on the rest of their lives. They have to carry that memory around with them forever haunted with the 'what ifs' and 'If onlys'.

Another report showed how dangerous texting is. Now I'm sure 80% of people do it or have done in the past. I stick my hand up and shout 'Guilty'! But that split second you look down could be the worst mistake of your life. And it was a massive wake up call that I have to do everything in my power to keep my family and myself safe. Unfortunately I cant control all those around me but i certainly can control my own actions.

I ask you all to just take a moment. Think before you pull out in front of someone, or get behind the wheel after a couple of reds, or pick up the phone to text or speed down the backstreets. Is it really that important to do any of those things, just to make it home 5mins early, or reply to that message RIGHT NOW. Im sure getting home safely is the number one priority as it also would be for all other fellow road users.

Driving is a privilege not a right. No single someone owns the road. We must share and consider the safety of those around us.

(PS: Even thought this was a serious topic i thought i would end with this image. It made me giggle!)



source

No comments:

Post a Comment