Pages

Sunday 21 October 2012

Kiwi muffins and a muesli slice


So as part of my weekend to do list, I wanted to make some healthy (ish) treats for our family for the week ahead. Kiwi fruit was out on special so I decided to whip up some Kiwi muffins. I also made one of our favourites-Muesli Slice. I make this instead of buying muesli bars (which are overpriced and can be full of sugar!)

The Muesli slice is a Donna Hay recipe so I'm thinking I cant repeat it here?? However it is found in her 2012 KIDS issue.
Basically its rolled oats, plain flour, any combo of dried fruits (I used apricots, figs and sultanas) and brown sugar (although i left this out). Combine this with melted butter and honey and bake in the oven until golden. Its so versatile because you can add as much or as little dried fruit as you like.
You could probably grate some apple or pear into it as well.

The Kiwi muffins are simple too:

5 Kiwifruit
1 cup SR flour sifted
3/4 cup wholemeal SR flour sifted
1/4 cup caster sugar (i left this out and they still tasted fine)
1 tspn baking powder
3/4 cup milk
75g melted butter
1 egg, lightly beaten,

Preheat oven to 200C.
Cut 3 kiwifruit into four slices each. Coarsely chop the remaining two. Combine dry ingredients. Make a well in the centre and add combined wet ingredients and kiwifruit. Stir gently until combined.
Spoon into muffin trays lined with cases or baking paper. Then add a slice of kiwifruit on top.
Bake for 20mins or until cooked and golden.

Mmmm delicious!

I thought this would make the perfect snack for Master A since he loooves muffins. But he turned his nose up at it!
Oh well, all the more for me and Husby.



No comments:

Post a Comment